Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Coming Back

The stupidity of just my little ole self amazes me sometimes.

Tonight's been a great night. I got some studying in, talked a little on the phone, had a good meal- all stuff of a good night for a college kid. But what took my night from being just the average "good and decent" night to the status of "great" was my time in prayer tonight. It wasn't just the "Hey God, could you hook me up with the answer to #2 on this quiz?"; it was the meaty confession, intercession, and really became more of a conversation towards the end.

There had been some stuff weighing on my heart and really been eating at my ability to hone in on what the Lord was speaking to me. I got it all out there on the table and the Holy Spirit and I labored through it. I felt great after; so much peace just rising up within me. I even got a great word out of it- Isiah 43:2.

During my walk up the stairs to my room I started to think of all the occasions I have spent intimate time with God like that and found that there is always one common denominator- I feel so alive and awakened after. It truly is one of the most wonderful feelings in the world. I'm sitting here actually trying to figure out how soon I can get back to the prayer room because it's such a great feeling.

Now here's my thing: if praying to the Lord and laboring with the Holy Spirit always leaves you with this fantastic feeling, why for the last month has there been stretches of many days without times of prayer? It seems kinda stupid that I would allow such a dry spell. I just become dumbfounded by my laziness and the weakness that is my flesh as I think about it. It seems to be an uphill battle when really it shouldn't be. There has to be a better way to overcome it than just attempting to grit my teeth and saying "Yeah I'll remember to go pray today."

So friends I want you to spend a good hunk of intimate time with the Lord, your Creator. I bet a pretty penny He won't leave you satisfied, and while you're there, would you offer one up for me to remember His calling of me back to the prayer room?

2 comments:

Ted Kriwiel said...

I've read this post a couple of times now, and I really enjoy this one. Very encouraging.

Thomas J. said...

Thanks Ted, it's always to read a comment of yours